Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

My momma says to "Say No" to Sex, Drugs, and Alcohol...

Apparently neither she nor Willis have been to Amsterdam! It is virtually impossible to avoid these three amigos here. The Dutch, known for their tolerance (which is crap, and I will explain in a later post), are also know for sex (in the red light district), drugs (illegal to posses unless you're in a coffee house or a certified addict), and alcohol (have I told you that Heineken is cheaper than water). It is impossible to avoid, but I have managed to hang on....and at least be consistent in avoiding sex. As of today I have been propositioned by two certified drug users (who started by telling me how pretty my eyes were) and at least three sex workers (one of whom I am pretty sure was a man and told me s/he had something I had never seen before). I have already admitted to drinking at least one Heineken daily and I have not intentionally done drugs. However, the smell is sooooooo strong in some places that I can't entirely be sure... but I think I was high (at least that's what I remember)!

My parents tell the horrifying story of me singing the song Street Life (you know "street life is the only life I know") in church. I learned the words after listening to my sister play it on the radio. Well, in Amsterdam there is plenty of street life, particularly in the red light district. You know you are there when the little red street lights appear in the middle of the street (almost like a miniature stop sign). Then the windows of women appear. Literally, there are windows like the ones on your house with a nearly naked women (and occasionally a transsexual) in it. The window is as big as most front doors and show the room in which their work occurs. There is often a bed, sink, night stand....and any number of other things readily in sight. Basically, a women is selected, the person goes inside, and she draws the shade on the window while working. It is one of the craziest things that I have ever seen. It is really an evolution in my thinking to call it sex work and not prostitution. I struggle with that and actually met with the sex workers union leader yesterday. It's amazing how union leaders, regardless of discipline, sometimes advocate for things that are unreasonable. For example, there is no mandatory STI/HIV testing, nor is the use of contraception mandatory AND when the question was asked about why these things were not required....she was actually offended and cited the rights of sex workers over the safety to those workers and the public. There are no pictures of the women because it is considered rude and was also cited a safty risk (I believe the comment was something about angry pimps jumping out to stop you and snatching your camera).


I also visited a user room today. This is a place where certified drug users are legally able to use cocaine and heroine. The idea is considered a harm reduction approach. Essentially there is acknowledgment that drug use will occur so instead of outlawing it, the government has provided guidelines under which drug use may occur. IV users are seperated from smokers and while no drugs are sold in house, the facility provides all the necessary supplies for users to use safely. We met the staff at two locations and all of the users "RAN" out of the buildings as soon as we arrived. I understand, am a bit conflicted, and feel like we violated their space. I have a great deal of compassion for those who struggle with addiction, who often have mental health issues, and really lack a sense of belonging.


Today was an interesting and difficult day. This place challenges your spirit.


Thanks to all who have read and posted.











4 comments:

  1. Wow!! That's all I can say. You know this a place we all wanted to visit in college, now I don't know. Legal prostitution and NO STD tests, WTF! Anyways the POOKUM's is standing and crawling. I cam in the other morning and he was standing in the crib watching Handy Manny. Talk to you soon. Love ya.

    Darryl, Shay, Darryl Jr., Shay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristina,
    it sounds like you are having a great time exploring Amsterdam. I can't wait until you get home and we can talk.

    Be Safe and wash your hands often....

    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Certified drug users...is there like a list or something. Please be careful...and I'm with you mom, wash your hands often. I love reading about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey.... I'm following! Sorry I missed you before you left, I was trying to get my inspiration on (fill you in later)!! Anywho!! have a good time and call me when you can!

    Chiek

    ReplyDelete