Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The sights of Amsterdam

A fitting charge for a weekend romp around the city



On a canal cruise with my roommate Kim, and roommates Susan and Rachel.



This is the Diamond Museum, also something the Dutch are known for. Hmmmm...a new purse or a new diamond? What do you think?



This is the entrance to the Anne Frank House. No pictures were allowed in this exhibit. It wouldn't do it justice. It is perhaps the most moving experience I have had and is presented in a way that simultaneously builds a story, and the anxiety associated with the experience, as you move further and further into the house. The leg breaking stairwells were steep and intimidating. It was as chilling as experience as I have had since visiting Pearl Harbor.




I am going to become a biker chick so that I can arm myself with the weapon used most often here....the Bike. This is a bicycle garage with multiple levels. Bikes have the right of way at all times. The bing there horn and you are expected to get out of the way. People do not use breaks they would prefer instead to hit you. If you are crossing the street, look out because they will not stop.



The Dutch are known for cheese and chocolate.
The cheese is in this store and the chocolate is in my bag.


Great architecture. Beautifully maintained and restored buildings. HOWEVER, everything is narrow...the elevators, the rooms, and especially the stairways.
Despite the weather (21-34 degrees), I am having a great time. Tomorrow we leave for Rotterdam and a few people are planning a quick trip to Germany.
Love to All!

1 comment:

  1. Always diamonds...always! You'll have to tell me about the Anne Frank museum because I'm sure it was amazing...I'm sure I would have been moved to tears. Mmm...cheese.

    ReplyDelete