Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Madness of Packing


It is just after midnight and I am two days away from my departure for Amsterdam. I had hoped to have everything finished on Sunday (LMAO!!!) The process of packing is a nightmare and I can't believe that I don't have this down to a science, especially as often as I travel. I went for my final Target run today (I will be going back....) and have finally managed to close my suitcases. I haven't weighed them yet so keep your fingers crossed. This is what my room looked like two hours ago...after more than two hours of packing. At this point I am just about done and am downloading movies and music for my laptop and iPod.

I am taking two suitcases, one to check and one to carry one. The checked bag is full of things that ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY NEED TO ARRIVE IN AMSTERDAM (this is my way of putting that request out there in the universe)but combined are too much to fit in an overhead bin. Checking a bag these days is like betting against the house in Vegas. I only have one connecting flight so I am not as concerned. My carry on is all of the things that there is no way in the world that I would go to Amsterdam without! One of the things I always worry about are the travel restrictions for liquid and medicine. All of your liquids and gels (except medicine) need to be less that 3 ounces and all fit in a 1 quart bag.

I know deep, deeP, deEP, dEEP, DEEP down in my soul that this is for my protection but I am not a fan of the TSA. I am in no way convinced that those people (only those at security checkpoints) could save.....I'll just stop there. One time a TSA agent took my benedryl because it was the children's formula. I had been bitten by a spider and was a swollen mess (those of you who know me know how often this happens...). The rationale for taking the medicine was that I was an adult and didn't have any children with me. I guess walking around like a zombie mumbling aimlessly or laying out on the concourse with swollen eyes itching, and scratching was a better alternative.

Anyways, I have learned valuable tricks since that time and want to share one of my favorite buys with everyone. Johnson and Johnson makes a baby travel kit with lotion, powder, soap, and shampoo that fits the TSA criteria. It is super cheap and can keep you going for a bit in the event that yourluggage doesn't arrive on time. Throw in some deodorant and toothpaste and you're all set. The only down side is that it includes diper rash cream....I haven't exactly figured out what to do with that yet.




Off to bed! Dinner tomorrow night with the family and a bit more packing to do

UPDATE: I was up all night with an upset stomach. Anxiety! I'll explain more later...

1 comment:

  1. What, you don't use Desitin on a regular basis? Ah, Target and how it always has everything you need.

    ReplyDelete