Search This Blog

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Figaro!


I am not sure where I first learned and became curious about opera or various forms of music in general. My guess is "Pretty Woman" or the "Cosby Show". Regardless, I grew-up taking private lessons from the age of 5 until 18. Was I some musical genius, no. A more than average player of piano and flute, yes. So, in coming to Sydney one of the "have to's" was the Sydney Opera House, a world renowned arts and theatre complex that is far more than opera.



We took in a concert, the Barefoot Fiddler, a violinist from Vienna who played Haydn and Vivaldi (two of my favorite composers). She literally played barefooted and stomped the majority of the performance. Following the performance, we took a guided tour at sunset and learned the history of a building that took nearly 15 years to build. I must admit that the Opera house is stunning from all angles and even more impressive up front. There are 5 performing venues within the hall and we were able to see 3 of them (but no pictures) during the tour. We climbed nearly 200 stairs in the process of completing the tour.


Only a few days left and still so much to do. More to come. Thanks for reading. I am getting emails from a few people that say they are having problems posting. You can post anonymously and leave your name at the end of your comment. Otherwise, I will look into the problem when I return.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, the violin...and instrument after my own heart. I'm sure that was an amazing experience. I'm so glad you're having a great time.

    ReplyDelete