Search This Blog

Sunday, July 18, 2010

The waters of Sydney, Australia

I love water and everything about it -- the look, the feel, and sound of it. As a port city, so much of Sydney focuses on water. We are staying at the Marriot in Sydney Harbor and upon check-in learned that we could get upgraded to a harbor view... lovin' it! Day one, we boarded a bus and took off around the city loop of Sydney consisting of 40 of the city's most popular sights. But, my favorite part of the trip began with day two, which was all about water. We boarded the suburban loop and headed out to Bondi beach, Darjling Harbor, and the Aquarium.

It's winter here. The temperature ranges from 45-65 degrees daily, there is always a breeze, and it is always sunny. People are wearing everything from jackets, scarves, and gloves to shorts and a t-shirt. I have really been confused by this! Clearly going to the beach during this weather is a stretch, but I am sure you also know that I am not a big fan of rules. How many times will I have the opportunity to go into the Tasmanian Sea? Well, there's no time like the present. So, off I went with my winter coat, scarf, and sandals.....nearly knee deep into the water. I am still trying to warm up, but wouldn't change a thing!

Next the world famous aquarium, which included a large focus on sharks and dispelling the myths that they are dangerous to people. I think we all know that despite a few casualties, we are largely more dangerous to them. We walked for hours in the aquarium. We moved from exhibit to exhibit, down long tunnels, into feeding tanks, nurseries, and nearly a mile of underwater tunnels.

Overall, it was a long but really enjoyable day. And yes, this journey ended like the last. I had fish for dinner.

NOTE: Sorry for the delay. I have been having some trouble uploading pictures. I hope to be posting pictures again soon.

1 comment:

  1. I love water too...I would have been freezing right there with you. Sounds like a fabulous outing and probably would have been the highlight of my trip (remember I'm living vicariously!)

    ReplyDelete